For the person who asked about why I distrust the police…
Things like this consistently reaffirm my general problem with authority.
Wait, Wait, Wait. So this fool (yes he’s a fool) was punished twice before for alcohol related incidents? How is he still on the force? He shot a couple of people with an off duty service weapon, and he gets paid leave? They already have evidence (his casings that match his weapon) and eye witness accounts, so what are they waiting for?
“Rape’s not something where you just go, “Well, get over it” or “Believe in love and peace, my child, and it’ll all be over.” Well, fuck you, that isn’t the answer. It’s a great thought, OK, but you can go and stick crystals up your butt and get on with it. I’m all for love and peace, but that’s not the side I work on. If somebody would talk about it, or worse, joke about it, I would be ready to kill. That’s not healing. It was a very long time after that before I was able to be with anyone again. And it has never been the same as it was before.”—Tori Amos (via odofemi)
But that Jo crap was stupid as FUCK. Seriously. She took that a step too far. I get that she is trying to be provocative and be different. But really, would it KILL Her just ONCE to not make a mockery of shit?? Can she NOT do a performance without making people feel awkward?
I honestly think that people today would be MORE shocked if the woman showed up in jeans and flip flops and stood on the stage and SANG rather than distract and do some weird fucking monologue that is just plain creepy as fuck.
She has an amazing voice, she has a great message, and I like some of her songs…but all of these antics and stupid shit she does, ruins it for me.
so tyler creator says offensive things on his twitter? i’m don’t follow his twitter or listen to his music. i don’t really have an opinion on him. i just find how much people hate him fascinating. i can see why now bc a celeb’s twitter is an extension of who they are and the persona they want to project. if he is saying super offensive things on his twitter, i can def see why people dislike him. there is def a difference b/w saying something offensive in a song compared to posting it on twitter for millions to see.
both are bad but people write offensive lyrics ALL THE TIME so i just found it annoying that people were soley singling him out. but if he’s an offensive person all the time, people have the right to hate him. i hope that makes sense.
and it kind of applies to what you said about charlie sheen in a way. like how he seems “ashamed”/ not publicizing how offensive/terrible he is therefore people are able to forget it or not hate them so much since it’s not in their face all time (twitter and tyler the creator). its fucked up and hypocritical but makes sense.
it definitely agree with the girl i reblogged the post from that there is a double standard and that minorities do get more hate/publicity for the bad/offensive things they have done compared to white celebrities.
haha that was kind of long. i hope that all made sense.
Gaaah. It’s 2:30 am guys, I should be sleeping, but I just love discussions like these. Okay last one before I go to bed.
Now on to Tyler. I truly want to believe that this guy really isn’t a misogynistic, sexist, homophobic, neanderthal. I’m hoping he’s doing this all for show, because it’s easy to just fit in with the norms of the music industry to make a name for yourself. Then people are always trying to one up one other, and I just figured Tyler really wanted people talking.
Yet that doesn’t mean he has an excuse for his carelessness. People are going to look up to him, especially after the VMAs, so that’s just more influence this guy is getting. I mean how can I attack his usage of lyrics and tweets, when he is getting awards. Children aren’t going to understand that. “Well Mr. David he won a Moonman, so obviously its cool now”-.-
Quite honestly I think Tyler can be a teaching point. I hope the media digs deeper, and actually tries to tackle these issues in the musical business, instead of just castrating him.
But it probably won’t happen, because people have been complaining about this stuff for decades now.
I’ll tackle the media’s take on minorities tomorrow, because I keep deleting paragraphs on it. Basically I’m saying I’m too lazy to put any more deep brain power into something.
Hey you. You're so articulate and wonderful. I love it :D
Oh stop it you! You’re going to turn my cheeks red (and lets be honest, that is hard for a black man).
I’m actually glad someone agrees with me, because I have a feeling I will be repeating myself a lot this year once Tyler “the creator” becomes popular on campus. Yes Ariel, you know how our “bros” on campus just love this type of stuff. Just gag me with a spoon.
I honest to god do not think that anybody in the mainstream progressive or feminist community would care if tyler’s gross out lyrics didnt’ have such a huge appeal to hip, white audiences or if he didn’t talk about white women in his lyrics. That, and the incredible double standards at play when people are criticizing this man lately, is what makes everything feel so goddamn disingenuous and irritating. I’M NOT EVEN A FAN OF THIS GUY AND I FIND MYSELF DEFENDING HIS ARROGANT ASS ALL OVER THE INTERNET BECAUSE WHILE I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT HIS LYRICS PERPETUATE SEXIST AND HETEROSEXIST, I DO NOT SEE THIS SAME LEVEL OF ANGER, DISMAY, AND DISGUST DIRECTED TOWARDS OTHER CELEBS—ESPECIALLY WHITE CELEBS—WHO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THE PERPETUATION OF SEXISM AND HETEROSEXISM AS WELL.
So yeah, this is why while I agree that Tyler’s lyrics are offensive, I’m really frustrated by a majority of the comments I see about them. I’M GETTING SICK OF DEFENDING THIS DUDE SO PLZ TAKE A MINUTE AND THINK ABOUT THIS SHIT FOR A SECOND.
I agree. I dont even have an opinion about him. I’ve never even heard any of his music. But yea I feel like people are overreacting bc he’s not the only rapper to rap about insanely violet, sexist things. He’s not the only celebrity to be misogynistic.
I remember rolling my eye’s when Tegan and Sara wrote blog post about him. It just felt like they were singling him out.
I just feel like rappers/hip hop artist get ALL THE BLAME for misogyny and rape culture especially from white people (Ashley Judd, Fox News, etc, etc) when it’s society as a whole that contributes to the problem, not just rap. UGH.
Side note: I hate Chris Brown, but the media acts like he’s the only celeb to abuse a women. It’s been two years, and people still bring it up 24/7. Charlie Sheen was in the news for weeks, and no one really brought up his abusive past (HE SHOT HIS WIVE IN THE ARM FOR FUCKS SAKE). So yea… race def plays a part in who gets the most hate and attention when it comes to the media.
I think people need to realize that Charlie Sheen and others didn’t publicize their ordeals. They are not saying, “Yeah I shot her. I killed the American Dream. Deal with it”. They are “ashamed” (all an act to be perfectly honest) and try to make “amends” with the media. Or in Sheen’s case just get crazier to the point where no one respects him. Now Tyler on the other hand is publicly saying those grotesque things without any shame. He’s not owning up to the damage that is he doing with his music. His usage of the derogatory term for homosexuals is used rampantly in his music and his twitter account. People has chastised him, and he still keeps doing it.
That’s why I feel he deserves the brunt of media. Not because of his race, but because of his arrogance. Can anyone else give me some mainstream bands that publicly said something along the lines of, “beat her ass or anything else violent towards women”? I can’t think of any.
Gay marriage is one of the hottest debates in the US right now. As a Californian, I’m thisclose to abandoning my state for being full of such bigots that voted to keep gay marriage illegal. I could write a WHOOOLE article (it would be approx. 573 pages) about the fact that I believe it’s absurd that we’re voting on something that should be a human right for everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, but that’s not what this article is about. I’m definitely FOR GAY RIGHTS ALWAYS though. Just sayin.
One of my favorite phrases from the gay marriage debate is this:
This got me thinking…since “gay marriage” is supposedly different than marriage, what other “gay only” activities that are somehow different from regular activities could gays potentially have? The possibilities are endless! Here are 5 activities that would be stranger than “gay marriage,” if they were to somehow only involve gay people.
1) Gay Exercise: Gay Exercise is fairly simple. There are 10 billion extremely fancy high-end gyms with all the latest equipment for all the gay men to use. That means there’s like 5 on each block. Gay men are encouraged to focus on their abs and buttocks when working out, and there are signs everywhere to remind them. Nobody likes a fatty!! Lesbians don’t work out. They get enough exercise at their hardware store jobs (see #4).
2) Gay Facebook: On Gay Facebook, only your gay friends show up on your News Feed. You can only send a message to someone if they’ve chosen “gay” as their sexual orientation. Lesbians can only write statuses about cliche lesbian things, like building stuff, wearing flannel and having short hair cuts. Gay men can only write about cliche gay men things, like wearing glitter, dancing on boxes and designer shopping. Gay moderators troll Gay Facebook ensuring that everyone’s statuses are gay enough. If they’re not, they get deleted immediately, and said gay person is put on gay probation until they come up with a more cliche gay thing to say.
3) Gay Driving: Gay Driving is way different than normal driving. Lesbians drive jeeps. Gay men drive Seabring convertibles. Lesbian cars make sure to only play Lilith Fair artists. Gay men cars only play club music and show tunes. All the cars are hybrids though cause gays care about the environment. The speed limit is therefore 45 mph max anywhere because driving fast hurts the environment.
4) Gay Work: At Gay Work, there is a strict dress code. Lesbians are only allowed to wear baggy clothes that deemphasize their breasts. One piece of clothing must be outdated, and they must wear some sort of flannel. Gay men must be color coordinated from head to toe, and they must wear at least 2 pieces of designer clothing at all times. They must have more makeup on than the lesbians. Also, lesbians are only allowed to work at hardware stores. Gay men are only allowed to work in fashion. Gay Work therefore only has hardware stores and clothing stores. Nothing else.
5) Gay College: Gay College is not a diverse place, full of students ready to learn about many topics. No, no. Gay College is a place for very specified interests. Lesbians get degrees in Women’s Rights, Feminism and History of Women’s Suffrage. All gay men go to the Fashion Institute. They only want to learn about fashion anyway.
This is scary stuff. We’d better stop referring to gay marriage as gay marriage, or these other activities may be possible one day. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go make myself a hetero burrito.
We all can have our opinions on Lady Gaga. Some may hate her music, style, personality, and that is fin. You have a right to your opinion. Yet one thing I never understood was the backlash this women gets from the gay community.
"She doesn’t speak for us."
"She’s just using the gay community"
This women has worked tirelessly beside us and has rallied support for our causes by using her stardom. How can we really push a person who is willing to publicly support issues that she knows can turn off the mainstream audience?
It just really bothers me how petty the gay community can be towards one of their own.